“A HIGHLY EXPERIENCED AND TRULY NEUTRAL MEDIATOR WITH A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE AND A DEEP PRACTICAL UNDERSTANDING OF CONFLICT RESOLUTION”
He can undertake host mediations online via Zoom.
Mediation clients have said:
- “This was a very large and complex claim and Sunny handled difficult circumstances with good humor and grace” –| BLM Solicitors
- “My client was very pleased with the process and the fact that a solution was found within the day.” –| HLF Berry Solicitors
- Neal Bertram of Bertram Law: scored 10/10
- Lawrence Harrison of D&N Solicitors: scored 10/10
AS A MEDIATOR, Sunny brings a wealth of legal knowledge with 16 years experience of conducting complex litigation. He has a deep practical understanding of conflict resolution with a patient and impartial approach.
Sunny is one of the leading mediators at Clerksroom Chambers and a practicing barrister heading the Credit Hire (Defendant Insurance Group) within Chambers. As a barrister he has highly successful practice acting for Defendant Insurance companies in specialist high value credit hire / personal injury claims.
Sunny also acts in professional negligence claims involving solicitors and legal professionals, particularly where the dispute involves issues relating to personal injury or credit hire.
Areas of Mediation
- Building and Construction Disputes
- Medical Negligence / Personal Injury
- Costs Dispute
- Business and Commercial Claims
- Chancery & Property Claims
- General Trust, TOLATA, Probate and Inheritance Act Claims
- Professional Negligence & Dispute with Clients
- Charities and Religious Institutions Disputes
SELECTED EXAMPLES OF MEDIATIONS
Chancery & Property Claims
- Dec 2017 – Sunny mediated a circa £4 million business dispute amongst family members involving numerous properties that had been purchased over decades, re-mortgaged or sold to fund future property purchases and business ventures. The matter was complicated by an ongoing divorce and rival claims between mature children from a mistress against mature children from the marriage. During the mediation, Sunny also had to deal with a bone of contention that arose with one child’s marrying out of caste.
Building & Construction Disputes
- Aug 2020 – Sunny helped resolved a long running dispute between a family run farm and supplier of specialist brooders for pheasants.
- Sept 2019 – Sunny also settled a general building dispute where the homeowners pursued the building firm for various alleged breaches of contact in the part-construction and renovation of their Cotswold’s home. The building firm was counterclaiming for unpaid sums for services rendered.
- Mar 2018 – A claim was made by commercial building owners against a national window company for failure to supply and fit proper commercial-grade double-glazed windows and window housing to one of its large commercial premises. The window company was counterclaiming for the cost of supply and fitting of the windows. The claim was successfully settled.
Business & Commercial Claims
- Feb 2017 – Sunny successfully resolved a claim between a serviced office company and their tenants over unpaid service charges. The tenant made counterclaims for breach of contractual terms concerning the provision of services.
- Feb 2020 – Sunny successfully settled a claim for chattels, property and money made by a wife against her ex-husband who also happened to be her business partner.
Professional Negligence & Dispute with Clients
- Apr 2019 – Sunny was happy to resolve a dispute over fees between Solicitors and their client. Solicitors had pursued a client for £50,000 (fees and interest). The client was contesting that invoices as having been paid for the work properly done and proposing to bring a counterclaim in professional negligence along with making a compliant to the SRA. The mediation process resolved all issues.
Charities and Religious Institutions Disputes
- Dec 2016 – Sunny mediated a dispute between two competing committees of a large London Sikh Gurdwara. The mediation was attended by 40 members of the committee, and despite competing claims for management, an agreement was reached in principle on all issues in dispute. A future date for an AGM was to be fixed between solicitors.
General Trust, TOLATA and Inheritance Act Claims
- Dec 2016 – In a dispute that centered on s.1 of the Inheritance (provision for Family and Dependents) Act 1975, TOLATA 1996, the mediation allowed for settlement and closure. The settlement reached saved thousands of pound in trial costs.
Costs Dispute| Medical Negligence
- Dec 2018 – Sunny successfully settled a dispute over the largest Bill of Costs faced by a Royal College, which would have otherwise gone to a 14-day assessment hearing. Following a separate mediation in which liability for medical negligence was admitted, a second mediation was held to resolve issues over costs. Both parties selected Sunny for his impartially and professionalism.
Appointments & Membership
Member of the Honourable Society of Grays Inn
Bar Council Elected Representative (7 years’ call) – 2013 to 2016
Sunny is married and spends his leisure time travelling with his wife and young son. He enjoys discussing philosophy and politics with friends, and raises money for various charities and good causes. Amongst other adventures, in 2013 Sunny ran the London Marathon for Save the Rhino; and in 2016 he summited Mount Kilimanjaro for Zoë’s Place Baby Hospice.